Johrdan was the 2nd oldest of my 5 kids. He just turned 18 on the May 22, it was also the day he graduated. He had earned a scholarship to our local community college, but had planned on attending The Art Institute of Colorado in the fall instead-his life long dream had been to be a pastry chef and eventually open a pastry store with 2 of his best friends *they were also attending the The Art Institute*. Johrdan was a gifted artist as well. There were so many things he had planned and in one night all of it was gone. He made the choice to try alcohol with my nephew *he's also 18 & had been living with us since March b/c of behavorial issues back home*. I'd like to say that Johrdan wasn't perfect, he had plenty of faults and got in trouble like any teenager-it just wasn't crazy trouble like a lot of kids nowadays. No drugs, and before that night, no alcohol. At some point they ended up in Johrdan's van with my nephew driving. While driving, my nephew *both boys were over the legal limit* swerved and hit a construction sign pole. He looked over and saw the sideview mirror had been knocked off, panicked b/c he didn't know how they would explain it, he drove to Johrdan's best friend's house, where he tried to wake Johrdan. When he couldn't, my nephew knocked on the friend's door saying he couldn't get Johrdan to wake up b/c he was so drunk. The friend opened the van door and saw Johrdan was horribly injured, he called 911 immediately. At 1:50am on June 20, 2011 Johrdan was pronounced dead at the scene. My nephew was arrested for DUI, and just last week was charged wtih motor vehicle homicide with aggravated DUI and manslaughter with aggravated DUI. He's been in jail since the day of the accident and was recently moved to the county in which the accident occurred. I don't blame him alone for what has happened, they both broke our rules, and the law. My nephew is simply the one who survived that stupid choice. I have forgiveness and I have love for him, I just miss my son more than I have the capacity or words to explain. I am grateful they both didn't die, I am also so grateful my nephew didn't cross over the yellow line and drag another family into our horrible nightmare. I just can't understand why Johrdan, who had never been a follower or one to make such a stupid decision would choose not only to drink, but to get in a vehicle being driven by a person who was drunk. The shock is horrible. I received the proverbial phone call in the middle of night, a screaming phone startling me from my sleep with headspinning news. I want nothing more than to wake up and see his kind, smiling face and tell him I love him and never know what this feeling is like. I have a constant stomachache, my chest hurts all of the time and I have an irrational fear for the rest of my kids safety now. I loved Johrdan to the depths of my soul and I can't make everything sync, I just want him to come home.

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear of your tragic loss in the death of your son, Johrdan.  As you read and post here you will find that many of us have the same reactions you and your family are having.  The physical symptoms are real and you might want to discuss them with your doctor.  Grief is very debilitating to the fittest of us and if we are not in tip-top shape can bring other conditions to a head.  I don't know what to say or how to help your children with the loss of their brother.  I am the matriarch in my family now and just making sure the lines of communication are open/functioning can be overwhelming.  Each of us has their own timeline and way; if you are troubled by something happening there, you can post about it or read the archives of your group.  Both have been very, very helpful to me.  God Bless You and Yours, Ruth

Dear Stephanie, Tears fall from my eyes as I read your post. Our bodies do indeed feel our pain. Thank you for writing, it helps to get some of your emotion out to express your feelings. Take one day at a time,  this is huge  the highest mountain you may ever climb, remember to breath, take deep breaths, pay attention to any sign. Look at the many signs under
Write them down, even if they seem silly, or weird, your now in the mist of creating a new relationship with your son, all relationships take time. Write down your dreams. I send you love and compassion. Coach Louise

Stephanie,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. My 20 year old daughter died in a car accident 3½ months ago. I still expect her to walk in the door. It is just devastating that you have joined this horrible "club" none of us wanted to join.

Sandy

Greetings Stephanie, my heart aches with yours, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. This sad club is involuntary membership. I could feel each one of your words as I read them. I know your pain all too well. I am still suffering from the loss of my 21 yr old son, about 20-22 months ago, I try to avoid counting the time passed, I will NEVER accept what has happened to my son and it will NEVER be "ok"!  My pain and sorrow and anger have not lessoned one bit, if anything, it's only gotten worst!  My son was riding his friend's motorcycle on a residential street where he was chased and rammed into an oncoming vehicle, this has been confirmed by multiple witnesses, mainly by the young girl whose car struck my son, also 21 yrs old. Thank goodness she, neither her passenger, were seriously hurt but unfortunately my son sustained a massive brain injury and passed away a week later after fighting for his life while in the ICU-intensive care unit. To make matters worst, my son was in ICU for at least 30 hrs before we knew where he was, he came in as a 'john doe'! He had already had surgery to remove the left side of his skull to try to relieve the pressure from the swelling. I stayed with my son at his bedside, I moved in. My husband had to literally feed me and hold cups of tea to my mouth. 

I am simply devastated, I am broken and I want my son back!  I am sorry that I dont have any encouraging or comforting words, except, this site means so much to me because my feelings and thoughts are validated and not judged. Once again, so sorry.                          Keep writing!

Wow do I know the feeling. When my youngest son died at the age of 12 in a fiery car accident my oldest son was driving. They weren't drinking but they were fooling around and not paying attention. My daughters are all grown up now but our lives will never be the same or even close to it. My oldest son was also killed in a car accident 9 years later and my oldest daughter was driving. A man blew through a stop sign on the highway and t-boned my daughters car leaving her handicapped and my son dead. I too fear for my daughters lives every day.I too am grateful that the others in the car were not killed but i also weep for my sons and wish for them to come home. I know that will never happen but I still wish it. Alot of people say that time makes no difference but it did to me. As the time goes by I learn everyday how to live again slowly. I dont think that the saddness or the yearing for them ever goes away, but for me time has eased the greif. I have been through all the things that other parents who have lost a child feel and do, twice. I have gone through the 5 steps forwards and backwards, but the step I find the hardest to acheive is acceptance. This whole process sucks and there's no way to prepare for any of it.There's no rules and no instructions, and no time limits. I take each day as it comes and sometimes it's one minute at a time. I just keep telling myself that I have no control over some things that happen to me but i can control how I handle it. It's different for everyone. For me it's taken a very long time to come to grips with the deaths of my beautiful sons. You are very new to this world of greif. Give yourself time and patience. Writing on this site gives me an escape and a way to express the feelings that no one else wants to see or hear. We are all here for you. You are not alone. Peace to you.

dear Anne and everyone, I really appreciate your encouraging words that you said to Stephanie. I am sorry for your tremendous losses, so tragic. I hope that one day my grief will be softened with time. You are right about this process sucking. I am still amazed that somehow I get through each day. My heart is with each and everyone of you, thanks.

RSS

Latest Activity

dream moon JO B commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"i miss mom so mush i do"
Apr 11
Susan E Marshall commented on Susan E Marshall's photo
Thumbnail

My husband

"Thanks, Rosie. (I have memory problems and forgot about this site. I'm just seeing this now. April 6th)"
Apr 6
Susan E Marshall and William Gardener are now friends
Apr 6
Natasha updated their profile
Apr 5
Angie Rowland joined Rita-Cecile's group
Thumbnail

LESBIAN ..GAY 2 SPIRITED loss and grief

Anyone who has lost their gay partner..soon finds that there may be a few things that are different...such as sorting through things and feeling like an intruder because it is also family stuff etcSee More
Apr 3
Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Assumptions

An assumption is an unexamined belief: what is thought to be true without ever really realizing that we think in that way. For better or worse, understanding starts with entertaining the idea that something is true.  Truly profound thoughts generally come to light from the relaxation of these (flawed) assumptions.  This is where I find myself today...Perhaps, one of the more significant drivers to pushing down the loss and grief at the time of the accident, ignoring it and mindlessly walking…See More
Mar 13
Profile IconCari Jo Converse, Jennifer and James D. Thornsberry joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 13
Profile IconMarina Dsouza, Leah, Sandra M Aaron and 5 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 5

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service