I lost my husband of 12 years to Melanoma in April of last year. I spent 16 days in the Hospice center with him, I slept there, ate there, and even showered there.  He was unresponsive for the last 3 days and they say that people wait for something or somebody before they let go.  I couldn't figure out what he was waiting for until I left on the night he passed away to get dinner.  I missed his last breathe by 1 or 2 minutes.  I was devastated and felt guilty for leaving him.  However at the time I thought it has been 3 days, what could 10 minutes do.  My only consolation was that his son and sister were with him holding his hand.  I wanted to be the one to do that, but now I understand that he was waiting for me to leave so I would not have to witness his death.  I was prepared to do that, hold his hand, tell him how much I love him and that I would be ok..  Well, I'm not ok not even after 9 months.  It still feels so raw, and just as if it happened yesterday. 

I was in therapy for the past 9 months which came to an end yesterday when I wrote a letter to my husband and tied it to balloons that I released last night.  I am hoping he gets to read it and that it makes its way to heaven.

This is my first post on this site and thought I would be able to relate to other individuals who are experiencing the same things that I am.

Views: 584

Replies to This Discussion

Michelle, I kind of had the opposite happen. My husband had been admitted to the hospital on a Monday. By Tuesday I had contacted his brothers and sister. Wednesday nite we transferred him to a hospice who informed me that he would last another week or so, inspite of his irregular breathing and occasional absence of breath. I knew the end would be much sooner, yet I took a quick 2 hour break to shower and change AT HOME. I returned to the hospice with his music to play for him...gave him a kiss and said "ok, babe. I'm back. You can go now. Once again, his breathing changed and within an hour he was gone. I made it back in time. If I had believed the staff, I would have missed the transition. He waited for me...and I can just hear him say "I've been waiting on you!" when I get to join him....

It's been 15 months and at times it remains overwhelming. I join you in your sorrow.

I lost my husband recently.  I spent 8 days with him in hospice center too.  He was in the hospital in ICU for a month before that.  I stayed with him too.  I left to do run an errand for 30 minutes that needed to be done but I wish I would have waited.  I got back right when he passed away.  He wasn't alone because a hospice worker was with him so I could go do what I needed to go.  That day I lost everything that was important to me.  Now I am trying to go on with life without my husband.  

Hi Melinda
First of all I am so sorry for your loss. Your story sounds exactly like mine. I had to learn to accept that my husband did not want me to see him pass. I had left to get dinner and got a call that his breathing had changed. I drove back to the center and just missed him taking his last breathe. I literally collapsed on the floor and started screaming. I had carried a lot of guilt for leaving but now know that that is the way it was meant to be. I too struggle with having to go on without him, on a daily basis. I once wrote in my journal that life goes on but nobody tells you how to do it.
I take it one day at a time. That's the only way I know how and whatever life throws my way, either causes a melt down or I learn how to deal with it. I share your pain and hope you can find your way.
Today marks 10 months since my husband passed away. I read so many of these posts and find that each and everyone of us are experiencing the same pain and loss of our spouses. I too struggle with people thinking I should be over this by now so i choose who I talk to about my husband. It's a shame to think that we lose friends and possibly family because of our grief. It is still a daily challenge for me to get through each day. I talk to him everyday asking him to guide me and to give me the strength to make the right decisions because sometimes I don't think I do. I hear the word "normal" and wonder when and if I will ever know it again. I know it will be a new normal but I don't like it. I want Mr other normal life back with my husband. Yesterday was my birthday and the first without him. I hate all of these firsts. I have a few more to make it through, his birthday and then the one year anniversary. It still feels so raw and painful and sometime disbelieving that I will never see him again until it is my time when he promised me that he would come and get me. I have to believe that's true because it's all I am waiting for, to be reunited with him. I hate the idea of being alone, but yet I have no desires for a relationship. Thanks for listening and all of your support and posts to know that my feelings are not only mine but all of ours. It helps me to know I am not going crazy.

Hi Michelle,

You are never alone on this site, It's all I have to keep me from going crazy. Friends and family just don't want to hear it. I don't think I will ever be the same again without my husband. Thank God for all the wonderful people on this site. Love to you all and peace. 

I  can understand how you feel. My husband passed away from the same.He wanted to be home it was 3 months and he was gone. I was by his side all the time during this and he keep fighting to stay . They said he just didn't want to leave.When the end was near all the kids were with him and I l told him he could go and be with his family I told my younger son to take his hand and went out of the room and the min I left he was gone.I don't think he wanted me to be in the room when he took his last breath. It has been 15 years now and I still remember that day and miss him. I don't think you ever get over someone who you love.

Attachments:

RSS

Latest Activity

James D. Thornsberry and Natasha are now friends
Monday
James D. Thornsberry posted a photo

Jim

Life at Online Grief Support
Monday
Jennifer replied to Robin H's discussion Lost my Partner who wasn't my partner in the group Being the Other Woman/Other Man
"Welcome to the group.  I lost my partner on February 5th this year, so it's still pretty raw for me too.  Reading through your story really touched a chord with me.  Like you, I didn't think I would ever find a group like…"
May 1
Jennifer joined Cathy Richardson's group
Thumbnail

Being the Other Woman/Other Man

This is for anyone who has lost their lover to death and you were the other woman/other man in their life. We have to grieve in silence. I can't find any support groups and feel like I'm the only one going through this situationSee More
May 1
Jennifer and William Gardener are now friends
May 1
dream moon JO B commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"i miss mom so mush i do"
Apr 11
Susan E Marshall commented on Susan E Marshall's photo
Thumbnail

My husband

"Thanks, Rosie. (I have memory problems and forgot about this site. I'm just seeing this now. April 6th)"
Apr 6
Natasha updated their profile
Apr 5

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service