I was working at Florida Hospital Waterman in Eustis when my good friend Cindi came to my office and told me what happened. After that its kind of a blur.

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was working that day. It happened just a few months after our daughter Irene had died. I'm ashamed of myself because when that story broke all I could think of was "now all those people know how I am feeling" I just felt numb inside. To this day I still feel numb inside when they talk about that day.
My brother died June 11, 2001, but I didn't find out about his death until Thanksgiving Day 2001. I really hate that year, 2001.
I was a middle school teacher at the time. We were in homeroom and were about to change classes and go to first period when they came on the PA system and told us to turn on our TV's (every room in the school was equipped with a TV with cable access). I remember when I turned the TV on, the 2nd plane had just hit and they were showing that 10 seconds of footage over and over and over mixed in with the footage of the people running from the buildings. I had 30 12 and 13 year olds in my room and I had to try to explain this to them. They were so bewildered and confused, and also desensitized to violence on TV - to them it was like watching a movie - like it wasn't real. And they didn't understand why anyone would want to attack us, we are supposed to be the good guys - they had no concept that there were people out there that hated our country enough to do something like this. The magnitude of what was happening just did not register for them. I kept telling them over and over again - you are going to remember this day and watching this on tv and where you were when this happened for the rest of your life - you don't understand right now but what is happening right now is going to change this country forever. And they really really didn't understand. Having to focus on them and trying to explain to them what was going on kept me from reacting to it myself until they released the kids to the next class period. It was only then that I thought about my own reaction and that I knew people who worked in those buildings.
i was painting a house in fargo north dakota when i heard what was happening. i immediatly started calling my relitives that lived in new york. all were safe. thank god. i pray for the people and i especially had a very hard time over the pictures of people jumping out of windows. that was terrible that they felt it was an option at all. gods grace appears to have left us all. now i have proof there is no god. that explains so much.
I was at work in London, England when someone came in and said that they had just heard a news broadcast saying that a plane had crashed into the Trade Centre. We turned the radio on and as we were listening to the announcer the other plane hit the tower too. I rushed home to get the portable TV and we watched in stunned silence as the events of 9/11 unfolded in front of our eyes.
I think I can say that most of the British population stayed tuned to their TV sets for the next couple of days, unable to believe what had happened and the enormity of it.
We are 'used' to terror attacks in UK - especially London - but never anything of such proportion.
Our hearts went out to all the American people - I think for those of us who were bereaved it brought back that awful, familiar feeling in the pit of our stomachs because we KNEW how so many Mothers, Fathers, daughters, sons, etc would be affected. We knew that day so many more newly bereaved parents were made.
Blessings always

Gail xxx
I was at work and my friend called me at work. We all went to the cafeteria to watch the news. Within a half an hour I left work to go pick up my boys from school. As I was driving down the interstate in NJ, the same interstate where you could always see the towers, all I saw was smoke. My sister was in Tokoyo visiting a friend. She tried to come home and couldn't come back into the states until a week later. Picking her up at Laguardia in NYC, you could still see the smoke from the sight a week later. My friend lost his brother in law, he was an emergency responder and never recovered his body. I had friends that worked down there at the time and they will be scarred for life
I was in my home when it happened. My friend called me and told me about this incidence. I never forgot this incidence. Then I turned my TV on and saw this incident.
May all rest in peace who died in this terrible tragedy.

condolences

Oh man this brings back memories...I was at home waking up and turned on the TV to find airplanes running into the twin towers...I had a friend over and said to him that there were planes running into the twin towers and he was so surprised also....after this incident I found out that another friend of mine had lost someone to this awefull event and that was so sad for many others too.

me and my brother, were 5 and in school when a police officer and social services came to pick us up and explained our parents were in a terrible accident, our parents worked on the 96th floor of the north tower and died on impact, today at school there was a tribute video and i have never cried that much in my life, teachers and classmates lended me a shoulder to cry on..living in california now, no one in my school had lost a loved one to that dreadfull day and i cried even more when they metioned me and my parents in the school annoucment, I MISS YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH!!! maybe one day we will have the family ive been dreaming of for a long time :/

RSS

Latest Activity

dream moon JO B commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"i miss mom so mush i do"
Apr 11
Susan E Marshall commented on Susan E Marshall's photo
Thumbnail

My husband

"Thanks, Rosie. (I have memory problems and forgot about this site. I'm just seeing this now. April 6th)"
Apr 6
Susan E Marshall and William Gardener are now friends
Apr 6
Natasha updated their profile
Apr 5
Angie Rowland joined Rita-Cecile's group
Thumbnail

LESBIAN ..GAY 2 SPIRITED loss and grief

Anyone who has lost their gay partner..soon finds that there may be a few things that are different...such as sorting through things and feeling like an intruder because it is also family stuff etcSee More
Apr 3
Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Assumptions

An assumption is an unexamined belief: what is thought to be true without ever really realizing that we think in that way. For better or worse, understanding starts with entertaining the idea that something is true.  Truly profound thoughts generally come to light from the relaxation of these (flawed) assumptions.  This is where I find myself today...Perhaps, one of the more significant drivers to pushing down the loss and grief at the time of the accident, ignoring it and mindlessly walking…See More
Mar 13
Profile IconCari Jo Converse, Jennifer and James D. Thornsberry joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 13
Profile IconMarina Dsouza, Leah, Sandra M Aaron and 5 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 5

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service