Hi. My name is Cristal. I lost the love of my life on July 2nd. He had leukemia and had no idea. I begged him to see a doctor in the months prior to his death but he would not do it. He also suffered from poorly controlled diabetes. I am struggling to get through the pain of losing him. His name was John.

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cristal.

Welcome to the hardest part of your life. This is the worst it will ever get, which is both bad and good at the same time. You're going to become a new woman after you make it through this journey.

There are no short cuts. Take this in baby steps, one day at a time. Friends help but rebounds are disastrous (I know from experience) so mind yourself. You're not ok to "move on to another man" until you're certain that you're ready and there's no mental or emotional Fog Of War anymore. You might receive many encouragements to do so but without a Widower to be with, you'll be diving into the arms of a man that will have no clue what you are going through and that's just asking for misunderstanding.

Your friends and family will not understand why sometimes you just can't [whatever it is] today. It's not that you don't want to, it's just that something inside doesn't work anymore right now. You have no idea how long it won't work for but right now it "doesn't even anything" despite your best efforts.

What helped me most was tossing out all the bad memories and holding on to the good ones. What helped me most when I needed some time and space alone (I needed a lot of that) was a walk in the woods or on a hillside with no pavement nearby. Bring binoculars with you if you intend to go a long distance, you might forget where your car is (I did) because of the trauma messing with your head.

Most of what I typed you won't be able to process yet. You'll get maybe a slight impression of it but right now the pain is probably so intense that you can barely feel the world, let alone register that someone took the time to counsel you based on their own lonely agonizing trudge through this mess. I got through to the other side and am ready for a wife in all ways but financial. I hope I can help folks.

Remember to eat.

Remember to bathe.

Remember to just breathe.

Cry when you need to. That need comes a lot at first and lessens over time.

Don't pay the non-widows any mind when they try to demean you for being broken. They just don't understand. They can't know. They are still unbroken. They ask too much of you. You'll get better, but it will take years. It comes back in stages and when whatever part comes back arrives it feels like an epiphany.

I was not ok to go back to work for 2 years. SSI made sure I didn't die in that time. I did try, but I just couldn't. I couldn't even any of it and I kept forgetting or becoming too emotional and closing off (I'm the Implosive type, we shut down when emotions get too strong instead of exploding). You might lean on SSI as well.

We can be here for you in text or you can make an effort to meet with some of us face to face. I find the face to face to be far more therapeutic than letters on a screen made up of blinking lights on a flat surface. Do what you can, when you can. For right now, that's taking care of yourself for the sake of your next beloved and anyone else that is dearly attached to you (e.g. kids, relatives).

Remember to breathe. Sometimes you need to shut everything off and just breathe.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I am trying to take things slowly and focus on myself. I am planning on going back to work this weekend. I work with an amazing group of people and I think it will help me right now. Some of them are dealing with recent losses as well (a baby, a grown child, and a husband). My boyfriend had a hard life and he had served some time in prison. He was only out 9 months before he died. He was weary from his struggles and had told one of his friends that he was ready to die. I have to believe that he has found peace and is free from the chronic pain, addiction, and depression that plagued him for so long. I guess I am also mourning the fact that he didn't live long enough to get to really enjoy life.

I have some good support from the man who married my best friend from high school. She passed away unexpectedly last January. He understands and his friendship right now has been a blessing.

Right now I can't imagine ever entering into another relationship. I need to be alone for awhile and allow myself time to heal. I need my life to be as uncomplicated as possible.

I want to thank you again for responding and your words of encouragement. It does help.

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconMelissa, Rhys, Jessie Karen and 1 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
2 hours ago
Aright updated their profile
Monday
Linda Engberg commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Hi Joe, I understand what you mean.  There will never be anymore of what we did together, IT IS FINISHED."
Oct 10
Mandy is now a member of Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Oct 10
Oct 9
Joe Kelly commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Strike those vacations below, they'll never be another one.  Went on a memorial cruise with my daughter and family four months after she passed because she was so looking forward to it.  It hurt enough to know they'll be no more."
Oct 9
"Yes Elynn, the loneliness.  That's painful.  They're not here and always was.  Our best friend, lover, and most precious thing we had.  We were lucky enough to spend the last 8 1/2 years together, joined at the…"
Oct 9
Elynn m commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"I've had a rough few weeks.   August 31st would have been our 45th wedding anniversary.   September 27 was year 4 of my husband's passing.   It's pretty lonely around here.  Its difficult to talk…"
Oct 9
"Every day for me is the same day she passed.  Not a joyful or even an ok moment.  I spend a little time with the children and grands and do my best to hide my emotions, but they all know how I am inside, even the youngest grand at age 4…"
Oct 8
Profile IconDinah and Morgan A Conger joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Oct 8
"Morgan, I feel the same as you. My sweet dog Babie J is nearing the Rainbow Bridge. I wanted stay on this earth for her. Once she passes I will do nothing to save my own soul.  "
Oct 8
Brett Bowman commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Avi, I don't know if we can rethink our emotions that way. Our emotions are what they are, although reason can help us form our emotions and hopefully change them for the better. I don't know if my mom can hear me or not. I certainly…"
Oct 8
Avi commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"How are you all doing?  I had bad last 2 days. Felt lot of guilt and cried. There were some moments which made me remember my mother.  Also I hear comforting words by a lady that people who have gone from this world can still feel your…"
Oct 8
morgan commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"I wonder how i am managing.  Not well and to be onest today I wanted to just set a date with death. I am approaching seven years of being without him and though I function towards the outside world better and my crying has lessened but at the…"
Oct 7
"What a horrible price to pay for love. "
Oct 7
Profile IconZed and Amy joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Oct 4
Jodi Karron joined donna henderson's group
Thumbnail

for loved ones who have lost someone to suicide

if you have lost someone by suicide post your thoughts here.
Oct 3
Dayna posted a group
Thumbnail

Loss of a loved one to alcohol, substance abuse or suicide

If you have lost a loved one to alcohol, substance abuse or suicide please share your story or feelings here. Share the love and beauty of the one you lost. Losing someone any of these ways is not natural and can be hard to understand and ask why? I lost my Mother to an overdose 9 years ago. She also suffered from major depression. Her doctor got her hooked on pain medication and she was addicted most of my life. These doctors who were suppose to help her ended up killing her in the end. I also…See More
Oct 3
Profile IconBrandi and Jennifer Pollard joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Oct 2
Dayna commented on Kim Darichuk's status
"I am very sorry to hear about your Mom passing. I lost my Mother to an overdose 9 years ago and just my identical twin sister last month to an overdose. My mother and I were not as close as I would have liked. The disease kept her depressed and…"
Oct 2

© 2019   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service