About 2 months ago I lost my best friend to an accidental overdose. It was by far the worst day of my life. I was next door when his ex girlfriend called my phone from his. She had went to hang out with him because they were still on friendly terms. She told me he wouldn't wake up. I was a certified lifeguard and so I guess that's why she called me, because she knew I knew CPR. I've never ran so fast in my life but I ran over there and after jumping the cement wall that separated the two yards, it seemed like everything was happening in slow motion. I walked into his bedroom and the light was turned off. When I turned it on I knew deep down that this was much worse than I could've imagined. He was pale and cold to the touch, his eyes we Re black around the rims. I shook him and yelled his name. I felt for a pulse and all I could hear was my own heart pounding out of my chest. I grabbed water and threw it on his chest and neck, he didn't move. I kept yelling his name as I Bagan chest compressions. I couldn't get his jaw opened and I cut my hand on his teeth when I forced it. The rescue breaths didn't work, he was girgling. We called for help but they couldn't understand her so I ran to get his roommate and his neighbor. His neighbor ran to the police station. When I heard the sirens I ran outside and collapsed on the yard. One of his good friends was the EMT who answered the call... I watched in horror as his friends all gathered to carry him out on a backboard because the stretcher couldn't fit through the door. They did not have the oxygen bag on his face. I knew in my heart he was gone. It took almost a month after he passed for his family to finally admit to anyone that it was from heroin. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't stop crying or seeing him like that in my head... I'm sorry that was graphic but I need to talk to anyone about it.. it's killing me inside and I don't know what to do.. Thank you for your time..

Tags: friend, od, overdose, young

Views: 464

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry you had to go through that experience :(
I am haunted by the fact that my mother in law had to go through the same. She found her son, who I was separated from at the time, dead in his apartment from a fentynal laced overdose. She called me from the scene and if you can imagine that you would understand how it plays through my head even a year and a half later. I feel so guilty that it was her and not me that found him like that. I had gone there the night before because nobody had heard from him in a few days, and I rang the door bell and knocked but got no answer. So I went home. In the morning when she got there she had called a locksmith to meet her but it wasn't needed. The door was unlocked. When I heard that my heart just shattered. Because I knew that he would never leave the door unlocked when he was using, so someone must have been there and ran away when he od'd. And not called 911.
It's unfsthomable that someone could do that.
And then when we got the coroners report it listed the date of death as the day I had gone there. My knees went out from under me. I felt..well I can't even put into words how I felt. Definitely the biggest "what if" moment of my life. We have 3 kids together. And now they don't have a dad. It took me a year to tell them how he really died. It's definitely not how a family is supposed to end up. But at least we have each other. And his mom has her grandkids to keep his memories alive. And there were good memories. Lots and lots of them. We were together 18 years. Unfortunately, sometimes addiction is stronger than love. It's so sad. That was the hardest thing for us all. That love didn't win in the end. And that he died alone. I don't know if I'll ever get over that guilt, but I know in my heart that I always have to put my kids first and so unfortunately that meant us being apart. He called me on the last day anyone heard from him and told me he was sorry and his last words to me were "I love you" so I have that to hold on to. I only wish I had said it back. Hopefully you find the support you need to get through this aweful thing. I'm here to listen if you need.
Nikki

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Brett Bowman commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Avi, I actually looked up the EquoVox. I couldn't find an English link for it. I'll keep looking. I'm just really curious how it works. And I want you to make your own decisions. I just want you to be happy."
50 minutes ago
"M, I'm half Catholic, and Theresa is 100% Catholic. This is a huge part of Catholicism. Ouiji boards just scare the crap out of me. I listened to a lecture series from a Vatican exorcists. There was a question and answer period. Someone asked…"
52 minutes ago
M Adams commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Brett, it gives me such a lift to hear about your new gig — sounds perfect! Lucky kids too, great when they can connect with an adult who also makes them laugh.   Your comment re the spirit world app that Avi came across brought back a…"
5 hours ago
"Avi, things like that scare the crap out of me. I mean, how do you know that you are actually communicating with your mom, and not something bad? I believe that you may open yourself to something that may attach itself to you. That's just…"
10 hours ago
Brenda Ann left a comment for Lisa
"Dear Lisa, I send you my heartfelt condolences as well as a welcome to our website. It is a safe place to come and talk or vent about your loss. Talking is very helpful in sorting out how to move forward. I would like to share a paragraph from what…"
15 hours ago
P updated their profile
15 hours ago
Theresa commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"No we should not, God is the only communicator Avi, you are right. We should not disturb the deceased, they are in peace, it is us who are not in peace. I still struggle everyday, I just have come to recognize that this is my new life.  "
17 hours ago
Linda Engberg commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Monty, I m sure everyone on our forum had a very bad day. I just kept myself very busy all. Since I live in Florida and it is in the 70's I worked outside all day long. I feel Julian is with when I am outside. He knew I just loved the outdoors…"
19 hours ago
Avi commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Hi Friends,  Few days back I came to know an app EquoVox which can help you communicate with your loved ones who are deceased. It seems be fake to me but have seen some videos on you tube people claiming its real. Did anybody on this group…"
20 hours ago
Profile IconValerie Groh, diane, Lisa and 6 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
yesterday
"Trina, It is so true, my Julian and I celebrated everyday of our life together like you an Joseph. We were Blessed."
yesterday
Trina Mamoon commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Linda, thank you for the post. The words ring very true. Today is Valentine’s Day, but fortunately for me, Joseph and I didn’t always celebrate on this day. We didn’t feel that we had to show our love and devotion on a specific day…"
yesterday
Linda Engberg left a comment for Lisa
"Welcome to Online Grief Support it is a great community."
yesterday
yesterday
"Thanks everyone. I was upset that we couldn't share our posts, now I am fine. Thanks"
yesterday
joe kelly commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Gotta go will post soon. "
Thursday
"I think thats what she meant anyway."
Thursday
"she posted an answer in Blog.  We're ok as long as we don't check that box and sign into twitter.  Only those who do have their posts appear there."
Thursday
Monty commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"did  a quick search for  "No Idea Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and Twitter. I didn't find anything maybe that it has the ability to share via twitter. and may not be shared by default. maybe we should try and contact the…"
Wednesday
morgan commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"I just sent a message to the admin/owner of the site......I'lll let you know the response."
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service