Last weekend I found out that the man who was my lover and best friend for 10 years has died. Not only is he dead...he was murdered, nearly 2 months ago and I had been so busy and disconnected from the news that I had not even heard about it. 

We met through work when we were both married to other people in 2001 and it quickly escalated into an affair. From that day forward, for the next 10 years, we saw each other at least 5 days a week and talked/texted dozens of times a day...every day. What started out as two lonely people grasping for something to keep us afloat developed into a deep friendship and a love so meaningful that I could never fully describe it with words.  He was kind, loving, open, and hilariously funny. Our relationship endured my divorce, the death of loved ones in both of our families, a terrifying health scare for me, etc. etc, etc. For almost a decade, I was accepting of the fact that we couldn't be together openly. The love I felt for him was strong enough to sustain anything, I thought. Eventually, even though I knew he loved me tremendously, I recognized that he was never going to be able to find the courage to leave his wife, and I needed more companionship and openness than he could offer me.  Our breakup in 2011 was tearful and devastating for both of us, but we both knew it had to be done.

We texted each other some over the next year, but had nearly completely lost touch until May of 2017 when I ran into him while grocery shopping. We stood near the checkout line talking at that supermarket for almost 2 hours. All the old feelings came flooding back, but for me, the feelings of friendship were the strongest. I wasn't interested in rekindling a romance, I had missed him being my friend. I could literally talk to him about anything, and so I did. We started texting and talking on the phone immediately again after seeing each other at the grocery store that day. I quickly realized, though, that he wanted to pick up right where we left off, and I couldn't do that again and I was not going to cheat on my boyfriend. He explained that over the years since we split, his relationship with his wife improved for a while, but they quickly fell back into their old patterns the way relationships do. His father had passed away right after our breakup, and he admitted he had been in a terrible place emotionally for the years that followed. He was so deep into that depression, that the more we talked, the more I realized that he needed more than just me to "snap" him out of his funk. We talked about how both of us felt tangled in this web of familiar, yet unfamiliar feelings about each other, and how much we wished things were different. We both commented how as much as we loved talking to each other, it was taking an emotional toll on both of us, knowing that we didn't want the same things from our relationship. The last time I communicated with him was a text message I sent him every year on the anniversary of his brother's death to let him know I was thinking of him. He thanked me, but did not seem to want to communicate much more than that, so I didn't push it any further. That was 5 months ago.

Because our entire relationship took place in secrecy, we never met each other's family (although we knew just about everything there was to know about them), no longer really had any friends in common, and the city where we live is large enough that gossip doesn't swirl like it does in a small community. As far as I know, we currently only had 1 mutual acquaintance, and a single post on her Facebook page was how I discovered the news about his murder.  I contacted her and she sent me a link to the news story.  He was strangled at a hotel, less than 2 miles from his home. Four people have been charged with his death and each person is charged with first degree murder and robbery, although the story said he had money in his pocket when he was found.  The story said that his death was still being investigated, and that a motive was not clear.

I am left with so many questions. Why was he at a hotel? Had he left his wife? Did he know the people who killed him? Was he having another affair? Was this a personal attack meant specifically for him or was he just at the wrong place at the wrong time? Was he terrified? Was he doing something illegal? The hardest part has been trying to deal with the fact that I may never know the answers to these questions.

The regular ways to mourn a person's death do not apply here. Since I didn't hear about his murder until nearly 2 months later, I couldn't attend the funeral. Obviously, I can't talk to his family or share tears and stories about him with friends, because no one knew about us. I want to attend the trials of these 4 monsters who have been charged with his death to make sure they pay for what they have done, but I don't want to upset his family even more than they already have been if they are going to be there. I have no idea how to deal with all of these feelings and this blanket of pain that I am under.

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

That is horrific for you. Im so sorry. Just know yoy aren't alone. Know we dont think you are some kind of monster and know that we validate what you guys had and the love that existed there. Try not to fixate on the particulars that you have no control over. Just grieve him for what he was to you and what you were to him. He loved you. That was true. Hold on to that.

RSS

Latest Activity

M Adams commented on M Adams's blog post Grief
"This came to my attention via an online site dedicated to thought provoking quotations and the history behind them.  The site sends an e-mail every week...my husband found it interesting and turned me and many of his students into subscribers.…"
3 hours ago
Profile IconLou De Vone, Britt, Claire and 1 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
3 hours ago
M Adams posted a blog post

Grief

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."— C. S. LEWISSee More
16 hours ago
Profile IconAmanda Stevens and Melissa joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Friday
Melissa posted a discussion
Thursday
Melissa replied to Charles Alexander's discussion New here after sons choice of suicide
"I am so sorry for your loss!! I do know and understand what you are going through!! My son Matthew took his own life in June 13th 10 day before his 26 birthday! He checked into a super 8 on a Monday and the staff found him dead on a Thursday!! When…"
Thursday
Profile IconRhys, Jessie Karen and Barbara joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Wednesday
Aright updated their profile
Oct 14
Linda Engberg commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Hi Joe, I understand what you mean.  There will never be anymore of what we did together, IT IS FINISHED."
Oct 10
Mandy is now a member of Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Oct 10
Oct 9
Joe Kelly commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Strike those vacations below, they'll never be another one.  Went on a memorial cruise with my daughter and family four months after she passed because she was so looking forward to it.  It hurt enough to know they'll be no more."
Oct 9
"Yes Elynn, the loneliness.  That's painful.  They're not here and always was.  Our best friend, lover, and most precious thing we had.  We were lucky enough to spend the last 8 1/2 years together, joined at the…"
Oct 9
Elynn m commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"I've had a rough few weeks.   August 31st would have been our 45th wedding anniversary.   September 27 was year 4 of my husband's passing.   It's pretty lonely around here.  Its difficult to talk…"
Oct 9
"Every day for me is the same day she passed.  Not a joyful or even an ok moment.  I spend a little time with the children and grands and do my best to hide my emotions, but they all know how I am inside, even the youngest grand at age 4…"
Oct 8
Profile IconDinah and Morgan A Conger joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Oct 8
"Morgan, I feel the same as you. My sweet dog Babie J is nearing the Rainbow Bridge. I wanted stay on this earth for her. Once she passes I will do nothing to save my own soul.  "
Oct 8
Brett Bowman commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Avi, I don't know if we can rethink our emotions that way. Our emotions are what they are, although reason can help us form our emotions and hopefully change them for the better. I don't know if my mom can hear me or not. I certainly…"
Oct 8
Avi commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"How are you all doing?  I had bad last 2 days. Felt lot of guilt and cried. There were some moments which made me remember my mother.  Also I hear comforting words by a lady that people who have gone from this world can still feel your…"
Oct 8
morgan commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"I wonder how i am managing.  Not well and to be onest today I wanted to just set a date with death. I am approaching seven years of being without him and though I function towards the outside world better and my crying has lessened but at the…"
Oct 7

© 2019   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service