I lost both of my parents within 9 months of each other after caring for both of them through terminal illnesses. I knew ahead of time death would change me but not in the way it actually has. Before my loss I was always going somewhere and doing something. Extremely extroverted, always calling friends, or going to dinner often with friends. Now I find it difficult to even talk to people without feeling panicked or anxiety even people I've known for years.

It's been almost 4 years since my losses started and I know I have PTSD from their care. I wish I could forget some of the awful things I saw happen to my parents. Sometimes I get stuck in a loop thinking about it. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it. As of now I force myself to be social on occasion but every time I get panicked. I really wish I could get back to the bubbly talkative girl I used to be.

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have all the symptoms that you describe. Lost my brother right after he lost his wife of 30 years then nearly the day that my brother passed away from a long battle that I was very much a part of helping him every way that I could his youngest son decided to kill himself one year later. I had to tell my mother when she got home from work. PTSD is real. I take meds for it. Talk to your doctor. I still take meds and probably always will until my time is up. Mother left me in charge. Yay me. Zoloft, valium and ambien. As needed. Zoloft daily. I have a whole lot of things that caused the anxiety way before all of my family leaving me here to deal with the people who are left for me to take care of. Not an easy road. For me meds help me cope. I know many do not agree with meds but to each his own. I medicate to keep my sanity. 

My heart goes out to you for your losses. I am on Wellbutrin and was thinking today I will probably always have to be on it. I also take Valium for anxiety. So far for sleep just melatonin, but when I get stuck thinking about cleaning my mother up, or watching my daddy struggle to breath and seeing the fear in his eyes, I'm up for the rest of the night no matter what. It is nice to know that I'm not alone in experiencing this...I hope as I work through my grief I can maybe get close to the person I used to be. For now I just feel orphaned.

I will never be the same again. Just keep trying to do the best I can. Need to get in some exercise routine or something. Due to physical health problems I am limited. I want to get back into shape. Might help with depression too.

It does, I've been walking and hiking,I notice when I don't though. When I walk I get this clarity where I think about it and can sometimes work through some of it for a time.

dad dies ptsd setel fr bit tnh ths yr wot set ot off bean a victm o fcrim wish pls dnt let me tell pele abot bad ebuf had go thru ths wn i had 2 do cps intver abot it 

moms alz/dem getin wors

my slf not bean well neglet my slf  bt evry 1 els 1st

sorry on yotre los/loses 2 my hrds alll ovr plas e it mim mult loss momm bean ill coz of dem/alz

me mest up bean dnt wnt 2 go on sorry

I had bad social anxiety before I met my husband.  Over the years he became my buffer when things got overwhelming.  And with his help, I was eventually able to be out with people, even in crowds without having a panic attack.  I did have to have a few days to prepare and a few days to recover but we found a system that worked.  Now, I start to panic when the phone rings.  I don't want to be the person I was before.  Always afraid, always on the verge of a breakdown.  I want to be the person I was when I was with him.  But all those feelings are coming back 10 times worse than before.  It hasn't even been a month since he died and my doctor wants to wait before putting me on medication.  Sent me to a counselor to see if she can help.

Oh man, that's terrible... I'm with you on this all the way! I can understand why you would feel the anxiety come rushing back. I don't understand why this happens, I went out today and had to take deep breaths to keep the anxiety from hitting. That's helped. My counselor had said for me it's part of depression. The hiding out might be a part of me not facing the issue. Feel free to reach out anytime. Maybe we can help each other!

Thanks, I appreciate it, same to you anytime.  My doctor and counselor both say it's to soon to diagnose me with depression because its part of the grieving process and I could overcome it in time.  My counselor thinks I have ptsd because of the way my husband died and the subsequent events.  But again thinks time and therapy will help me over come it.  Right now it's hard to see me overcoming anything, every day just seems to get worse.

If you think you need something talk to a psychiatrist. They can more effectively diagnose you and better tell if you need an antidepressant are anti anxiety. They can prescribe it. It's such a long Path and it comes in waves, you really never know when it is going to hit.

RSS

Latest Activity

BLUEBELL commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Christine and Janie. Thank you both for your comments Bluebell"
2 hours ago
Janie m Snitko commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"By her home I meant my Mom's."
2 hours ago
Janie m Snitko commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Hi everyone! Today was a stressful day for me. I found a great website it is called Soul Proof .com.  Bluebell I thought about you as I was reading different things on after death experiences. Both times my daughter and I have been together in…"
2 hours ago
Profile IconJen and LoveGoli joined Jon-Paul Ackerman's group
5 hours ago
JO B commented on Mike H.'s blog post Repost: Is It Wrong to Grieve?
"no its ok 2 grief evn ifs its a 50 yrs its still ok evn 80 yrs its ok no 1 shud tell pele 2 not giref its not lk a op or bandge u can tak off its not griefs 1 thng u ca n not heal  sorry if im sayin wong thngs heat sorry abot yore loss 2"
5 hours ago
JO B replied to JO B's discussion mad at god
5 hours ago
Courtney Boyke posted a status
"I feel lost a lot of the time kinda more depressed than anything"
9 hours ago
Courtney Boyke and Mary Ann Troxell are now friends
9 hours ago
Christine Ford commented on Julie Dolsey-Weiss's group Traumatic, Sudden Loss
"I'm new to the group.  In November 2015 my Mom & Dad were cutting a tree branch in their backyard and the branch fell on my Mom and killed her.  I am numb some days.  I just try to focus on how wonderful my mom was, not how…"
9 hours ago
Christine Ford commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Bluebell, thank you for posting the comment about having a mother that loved you, food to eat, and your family.  I too am luck to have/have had those things.  Your comment reminded me of what I have to be thankful for.  Christine"
10 hours ago
Christine Ford joined Karen's group
Thumbnail

I miss my Mom!

If you have that hole in your heart that you get when you lose the woman that you shared a body with....
10 hours ago
Christine Ford updated their profile
10 hours ago
Profile IconChristine Ford and julia shvekky joined Julie Dolsey-Weiss's group
10 hours ago
"Thank you Theresa. It is hard for me to accept I am still grieving her loss so much. But I am still going to try and inch forward little by little and have more "okay" times. I think my Mom would want that. I can not stay in this…"
10 hours ago
Theresa commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Bluebell, grieving is a normal part of life and death, you are only 6 months into it, please don't expect too much, I am now almost two years and I still am trying to accept the fact of what happened and how fast it occurred.  Some days I…"
11 hours ago
Joy commented on Karen Wilson's blog post Lost my Son -only child in March of this year
"Karen, I just want to offer my sincere sympathy in losing your son. While I'm grieving my mom's death, and our situations are completely different, I do know what grief is and can relate on that point. I'm glad you are getting the…"
11 hours ago
"I am grateful I had a mother that loved me I am grateful I have a roof over my head and food to eat I am grateful for my family"
13 hours ago
"I am blessed to have my sister. But I also realize that she is going through a bad time too and it would not be fair to her to burden her with all the negativity that is going through my mind. With that being said, I am going to try and be more…"
13 hours ago
Brett Bowman commented on Karen's group I miss my Mom!
"Bluebell, I will pray for you as well. I understand. Theresa, that is one of the most beautiful things about Catholicism. Sitting in adoration of the sacrament is an incredible blessing. Bluebell, you wrote something that was very telling. You have…"
19 hours ago
LoveGoli replied to Maxey's discussion Moved, but nothing changes in the group Lost My Spouse...
"You are lucky that you spent 55 years, but I had only 3years and the pain is getting worse day by day. Moving from one place to another does not help because you can not remove that person from your heart.  Same feeling I am having which you…"
22 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Diana, Grief Counselor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service