I am going on my fourth year without my wonderful Husband, my shrink has tried every drug she can think of for depression but none work. I find that if I take a codeine tablet I had left over from surgery really helps. Does anybody know of an opiate that would help me get over my grief. I don't think I can take this pain much longer. PLEASE HELP!!!!! 

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi my mother is the person I am mourning so it is not the same but I understand the need to numb yourself to the pain that you are feeling. it will be 4 years for me without my rock my beautiful mother this coming Feb. If you live in a state that allows marijuana you could try the edible kind. I don't live in a place where it is legal but on occasion have a chance to partake. Just a thought.  I'm sorry for all of us hurting from the pain of losing our beloved. I am still not over it. She left me in charge of her affairs and there is still so much to do it overwhelms me everyday. She was the buffer between my siblings and without her here I am having to help in her place. I wish I could just drive away and never look back.

Jean,

Thanks for sharing.

Linda
I don't know if this is true but my psychologist says grief cannot be medicated away. I don't think an opiate will help your grief go away but might give a couple hours of relief. However, addiction is a risk.
As Jean said, medical marijuana might help. I eat an edible (indica) at bed and it helps me sleep a bit. It is legal where I am.

We are voting for it in Florida again this year, hope it passes.

I would like some sleep, but my doc took my ambien away, and its been 10 months, but I still wake up looking for Kevin.

Ruthie,

I feel the doctors could care less of what we are going through.

I have been wondering how you all would respond to my suggestion. I highly "pun intended" recommend it to help with the pain we are all feeling. Also the doctors I have encountered trying to find a new GP are all in it for the money. I went to the same group of 4 doctors for over 40 years and cannot find any that come close to the care that I received from them. I am still looking for the right one. My brother called them "the Gatekeeper". I have one awesome doctor that I see for anxiety and depression. Thank God for decent doctors. Few and far between.

I take two Benadryl every night in order to sleep at all, except for the really bad nights, when I take a Lunesta (sleeping pill) instead. I also have a prescription for Xanax, to help with panic attacks.

The Benadryl / Lunesta allow me to get a bit of sleep, but nothing (no pill, no drug, nothing) will ever diminish my depression, because the reason for my depression -- the death of my beloved husband -- will never change.

It is very easy to become addicted to opiates, just bear that in mind.

I have had an experience that might be useful in this context, although it is not from an opiate medication and maybe will not help other people. I lost my soulmate suddenly eight months ago and have been pretty much crushed and useless since then, tearful, sleepless, unable to bear seeing people, and so on. However, I still have family responsibilities...my parents are elderly and my mother is also losing her memory, frail, etc. Exercise is the only thing advised by her physicians as being potentially helpful to the memory, so I bought a gentle stretching DVD for them when I went there to help out recently. The DVD idea turned out to be a mistake. Though it is slow and gentle it is still too complicated for my poor mother to follow -- just the idea of having it around created anxiety, which is a horrible part of not having a reliable memory, so I put it out of sight and took it back home. I had severe back pain for the first time in my life while I was there -- I thought probably from a combination of stress and the lack of normal physical activity over the last eight months. When I got home the problem persisted and I decided to try the stretching to see if it would help my back -- it did, but it seems like maybe it has also helped my grief experience. It could be just the psychological impact of doing something for myself every day, or maybe some different chemicals are being released in my brain, but I seem to feel more like myself. It is hard to explain. I am still grief stricken but that's okay, I expect to feel that way because I've lost the love of my life and that has not changed and will not change. The difference is that I feel more sane and like my brain is working more normally -- I have been feeling like my mind is not right and I still don't feel normal, just better than I have been feeling. This effect could also be just coming from the passage of time, but it does seem to have started when I began doing the stretching exercises regularly each day (more or less). Sorry to ramble but hoping this might be a bit helpful to someone.
I can relate. So many Doctors..they will write a script for anything. But I finally had a psych tell me "there is no pill that will help with Chronic Grief disorder"
I find it so strange that doctors felt the need to name this pain "chronic grief disorder". It is chronic, and it is grief, but in my opinion it is the normal reaction to having your life destroyed, to having half of your soul torn from you. Fuck. How else could we be??!??

RSS

Latest Activity

Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Assumptions

An assumption is an unexamined belief: what is thought to be true without ever really realizing that we think in that way. For better or worse, understanding starts with entertaining the idea that something is true.  Truly profound thoughts generally come to light from the relaxation of these (flawed) assumptions.  This is where I find myself today...Perhaps, one of the more significant drivers to pushing down the loss and grief at the time of the accident, ignoring it and mindlessly walking…See More
Mar 13
Profile IconCari Jo Converse, Jennifer and James D. Thornsberry joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 13
Profile IconMarina Dsouza, Leah, Sandra M Aaron and 5 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 5
esther joined HollowHeart's group
Thumbnail

Sibling Loss

This group is for anyone that has lost a brother or sister. Sibling loss is often minimized and people don't realize how devastating losing a sibling can be. I lost my older sister and my life will never be the same. She was my only sibling, I looked up to her, I went to her for everything. I lost my past, present and future. It is traumatic.See More
Mar 4
Speed Weasel posted a video

Sun Keeps Risin'

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSun Keeps Risin' · Lissie · Elisabeth Corrin Maurus · Martin CraftMy Wild West℗ 2015 Lionboy RecordsReleased on...
Feb 26
Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Triggers Continue to Surface

Late February is a challenging time of year for me.  Jen’s birthday is the 23rd and serves as an annual reminder of all of the potential that was lost…Her’s (mainly), mine, the world’s honestly.  This year she would be 52…It is increasingly hard to imagine, through all of the iterations possible, what she could have become, what was to be her (significant) impact on the world.That being said, things, emotions, have largely settled down since I committed a potential version of what could have…See More
Feb 15
Michelle joined Gyla Lynn Darden's group
Thumbnail

Loss of a child In memory of my son or daughter

This group focuses on healing ourselves and each other over the death of a child and welcomes a Christian atmosphere to help with the healing process. I welcome all of those grieving.See More
Feb 8
Tammy McLaughlin and Rosie are now friends
Jan 30

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service