I am Kim, I am 27 years old and my mom passed away suddenly a few weeks ago. She had a heart attack while driving and crashed her car. It was the day after she turned 55. My parents are in Massachusetts and I am in Connecticut, it's about a 2 and a half hour ride which could be worse I guess. I am just having a really hard time coping. I am constantly worried about my dad, my brother lives only a few miles away from him but I don't trust that he will check in on my dad as much as he should. I plan on going up every weekend for at least a few months. I am supposed to get married in April. My mom was so excited, she was constantly doing little things for the wedding. I know she would still want me to have it because she was so excited for it, however I don't want to get married if my mom can't be there. I know I have close family that love me and aunts have already told me that they will help get me ready on my wedding day, but I don't want anyone but my mom to get me ready. I feel like I am being a child about it but I don't care that's all I want. I don't know how to anything without my mom never mind get married. We talked everyday. I am just utterly heartbroken.

Views: 263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, my name is Lindsey. I'm 28 years old and my mom passed away suddenly 7 months ago in April, just 4 days after her 56th birthday due to heart failure. She had just come home from a dinner cruise with her boyfriend celebrating her birthday. Her name was Kim. 

I saw your story and knew is just had to reply to you. Though I do not have a father figure in the picture and I lived only about 15 minutes from her, I just wanted you to know that I get it. I get the pain, the feeling of being lost, the feeling of "what do I do now?".

I want to make sure you know that ITS OK TO NOT BE OK and no matter what anyone may tell you, there is no timeline for grief. Everyone processes different and some take longer than others. The pain will never go away, but you will slowly learn to live with it. My wounds are still very much open and i'm still learning but some things are easier for me now than they were 7 months ago. 

I will also say that I personally think you should still go forward with the wedding (if you're able to). Your mom was so excited for it and I think it would be an opportunity for you to carry on what she was looking forward to and you can still incorporate your mom in your wedding - even though she WILL be there right next to you the whole time. You can save her a seat in the front row with her picture, wrap your bouquet with one of her bracelets/necklaces, have a special toast to her at the reception, etc. While you get ready you can play her favorite songs and have her picture there with you in the room. 

I don't know your mom, and I won't act like I do. All I know is that if my mom passed before I got married, with as excited as she was for it, she would want me to go ahead with it. She wouldn't want me to put my own life on hold because I physically lost her. She would want her baby to carry on and live life to the fullest. 

I truly hope my words were helpful and not hurtful. As someone who is the same age with a similar situation, please message me if you need a friend. 

I just saw you posted this is 2016.

Hopefully you're doing better now that some time has passed. I hope you got married and I hope you have been able to cope better over the last few years. I hope things have been better for you and I wish you the best. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Assumptions

An assumption is an unexamined belief: what is thought to be true without ever really realizing that we think in that way. For better or worse, understanding starts with entertaining the idea that something is true.  Truly profound thoughts generally come to light from the relaxation of these (flawed) assumptions.  This is where I find myself today...Perhaps, one of the more significant drivers to pushing down the loss and grief at the time of the accident, ignoring it and mindlessly walking…See More
Mar 13
Profile IconCari Jo Converse, Jennifer and James D. Thornsberry joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 13
Profile IconMarina Dsouza, Leah, Sandra M Aaron and 5 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 5
esther joined HollowHeart's group
Thumbnail

Sibling Loss

This group is for anyone that has lost a brother or sister. Sibling loss is often minimized and people don't realize how devastating losing a sibling can be. I lost my older sister and my life will never be the same. She was my only sibling, I looked up to her, I went to her for everything. I lost my past, present and future. It is traumatic.See More
Mar 4
Speed Weasel posted a video

Sun Keeps Risin'

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSun Keeps Risin' · Lissie · Elisabeth Corrin Maurus · Martin CraftMy Wild West℗ 2015 Lionboy RecordsReleased on...
Feb 26
Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Triggers Continue to Surface

Late February is a challenging time of year for me.  Jen’s birthday is the 23rd and serves as an annual reminder of all of the potential that was lost…Her’s (mainly), mine, the world’s honestly.  This year she would be 52…It is increasingly hard to imagine, through all of the iterations possible, what she could have become, what was to be her (significant) impact on the world.That being said, things, emotions, have largely settled down since I committed a potential version of what could have…See More
Feb 15
Michelle joined Gyla Lynn Darden's group
Thumbnail

Loss of a child In memory of my son or daughter

This group focuses on healing ourselves and each other over the death of a child and welcomes a Christian atmosphere to help with the healing process. I welcome all of those grieving.See More
Feb 8
Tammy McLaughlin and Rosie are now friends
Jan 30

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service