Hi, I just lost my dad 3 weeks ago unexpectedly...

I was having such a great day at work. I actually remember thinking to myself at work ...wow..I`m in such a great mood.

I went to the upstairs cafeteria with a coworker and as I was coming back down to my desk another coworker said, "Hey, I know your ringtone...its the music from Casper"...I was like, "Oh, my phone rang while I was gone?" and she said "Yeah, a couple times"....I look at my phone and saw that it was my mom calling. She never calls my cell phone during the day...we usually converse over work email all day. I immediately had the pit in my stomach.

I saw 5+ missed calls. I called her right back. She answered crying, "Honey, you need to come home, daddy had a heart attack"....I dropped everything...I was shaking so bad I could barely think. I went into the meeting my boss was having and told her I had to go. She wanted to drive me but I just rushed out of the building. As I got outside the building, tears and all, I thought to myself..."What? whats going on here...where am I going...What hospital am I going to drive to?"

I called my mom back and I asked her, "Mom, where am I going??! What hospital is dad at?" and there was a long pause as I hear my mom force out the words, "No, honey, daddy`s gone. Hes dead"

The walk to my car was the longest walk I have ever taken. The drive to my parents house was the longest drive I have ever taken. I`m sure the people downtown thought I was a crazy person. I was in shock. I didn't believe what she told me. I had just seen my dad the day before last....how could this be? The whole way home I kept repeating.. THIS IS NOT REAL. THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. MY DAD IS OK...I CAN FIX THIS.

I finally got to my parents house and as I drove up there were two cop cars out front. My dad was still in the house. What happened was, my dad usually calls my mom at work around 9ish to kind of check in and see how her day is going. (This is a Monday) ...Well, my mom didn't get my dad`s call so she called him. No answer. Thought to herself.."well, maybe hes out for a drive or in the shower"...she tried calling around 10..no answer...so she repeatedly called the house phone and his cell phone...no answer...She raced home...went in the house...looked in the bedroom to see he wasn't in there and thought for a moment., "ok, he just left his phone at home...he must be out"....then she saw the bathroom door slightly open with the light on....He was still in a standing position and rigomortis had set in.

My mom found him at home dead. The coroner said he had a massive heart attack and went quickly.

I cannot believe my dad is gone. I`m only 26 years old and am getting married in 2 MONTHS. The pain is unbelievable. I think about him ALL the time. Every minute of every hour. I get this pit in my stomach...and the anxiousness isn't going away. Its like that feeling you get before a big interview or speech...I have that constantly. I feel so horrible for my mom. I hate seeing her cry and upset.

His death makes me question a lot of things about life. I never really was religious in any way...but I always thought people died to be put in a better place...to end their suffering and pain....but my dad loved his life. He loved us so much...I cant imagine him being in a better place than with us here....

I cant picture my life without my dad. In the last couple years we became pretty close. I always made sure to kiss him on the cheek and give him a hug everytime I would leave their home. I moved closer to my parents because I loved them so much and loved being around them.

I dont know what to do at this point. Reality is starting to hit now and its raining hard.

Views: 1064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

jb

I get the same annoying comments, I should be happy he had a full life and that we all have to die sometime.  I remember all my grandparents, I still have on around.  My Dad's mother, I remember the deaths of the other three grandparents.  Each had its own pain and process, but this is extremely hard.  Mom is already talking about setting up the village that Dad put together for Christmas...something I am not looking forward to, I actually asked if we could skip the decorating this year and got told "No". 

wen people say get over it i canet denise the thort of going to a suport grup scares me im a bit wel im very shy rond to many people id end up stutering all my words out i sum times thng sum peple hav no fealings at all my granmother kate woz her anversry this month i cant rember the yer she died i woz abot 15 im almost 38 now even i dont want any xmas decratsions up this yer the only thnk i want is my dad to cum bac but i no he cant at his funrell wen we warket be hind his coffen and follering the preast and funrell directer i wispit to my dads coffen i luv u dad u wer the best

jb

I understand your feelings and I whispered the same things to my Dad.  

I am told it takes time, there is no limit to the healing process.  Like yourself I keep my pain hidden in the office.  I cry at home and often, I am glad you found a group for healing.  The only ones here, my mother is involved with and she would  only worry more about me than her healing. 

it least on hear i can get my fealing dooooon with out people judge u coz we r all going thru the sam pain and greith but in difrent ways my mum lost her parents over 40 yrs ago and she told me she never ever got over luzing thm even wen she lost my anti flo her sister to bone canser my mum never got over losing her yunger sista but this yer as bean a very nasty yer to our family a bit to nasty this yer espesely the way my dad died lazy nurses not helping just stud on the ward gosping and bean rasest wish woz not nise and the post mortem i dont no wish report is rite or wong al i no is my cuzen whos a charge nurse wen i last saw her nobody dies of natswell carses even wen she woz a nurse in casulty and peopl cum in after a car acstend or wot ever thy hav died of a nasty acsetentd

RSS

Latest Activity

Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Assumptions

An assumption is an unexamined belief: what is thought to be true without ever really realizing that we think in that way. For better or worse, understanding starts with entertaining the idea that something is true.  Truly profound thoughts generally come to light from the relaxation of these (flawed) assumptions.  This is where I find myself today...Perhaps, one of the more significant drivers to pushing down the loss and grief at the time of the accident, ignoring it and mindlessly walking…See More
Mar 13
Profile IconCari Jo Converse, Jennifer and James D. Thornsberry joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 13
Profile IconMarina Dsouza, Leah, Sandra M Aaron and 5 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 5
esther joined HollowHeart's group
Thumbnail

Sibling Loss

This group is for anyone that has lost a brother or sister. Sibling loss is often minimized and people don't realize how devastating losing a sibling can be. I lost my older sister and my life will never be the same. She was my only sibling, I looked up to her, I went to her for everything. I lost my past, present and future. It is traumatic.See More
Mar 4
Speed Weasel posted a video

Sun Keeps Risin'

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSun Keeps Risin' · Lissie · Elisabeth Corrin Maurus · Martin CraftMy Wild West℗ 2015 Lionboy RecordsReleased on...
Feb 26
Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Triggers Continue to Surface

Late February is a challenging time of year for me.  Jen’s birthday is the 23rd and serves as an annual reminder of all of the potential that was lost…Her’s (mainly), mine, the world’s honestly.  This year she would be 52…It is increasingly hard to imagine, through all of the iterations possible, what she could have become, what was to be her (significant) impact on the world.That being said, things, emotions, have largely settled down since I committed a potential version of what could have…See More
Feb 15
Michelle joined Gyla Lynn Darden's group
Thumbnail

Loss of a child In memory of my son or daughter

This group focuses on healing ourselves and each other over the death of a child and welcomes a Christian atmosphere to help with the healing process. I welcome all of those grieving.See More
Feb 8
Tammy McLaughlin and Rosie are now friends
Jan 30

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service