I suffered a loss in May (my best friend here of 16 years passed away from brain cancer). He was my anchor and it's a tremendous absence in my life. He'd been ill for about a year, but we thought he would pull through. He remained positive and I was naive/in denial so when I found out he was suddenly in hospice, it was a shock. I thought I would have time to say goodbye, but he stopped the cancer treatments he'd been on and was gone less than a week later. 

He was in hospital before hospice but I didn't know about it. There was a circle of people who did, including those who had only known him briefly (he told that person, who was given the opportunity to see him while he was in hospital and relatively okay) That he didn't tell me has been a source of confusion and also has made me angry and sad. I don't understand it and I feel cheated. 

The anger and grief are making me feel like I'm drowning at times without any relief. I have a couple of friends to talk to about it and a grief counselor I've seen a few times. But overall it feels like I don't have the support I want/need and that's why I wanted to come here. 

Thanks. 

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand why you feel cheated, but consider that perhaps it is because you and he were/are so close that he didn't want you there at the end, that he didn't want you to see him like that.  My husband died of a sudden and unexpected heart attack, at only 41 years old, and I was not with him when it happened (though my sister and her husband were, thankfully).  On one hand I am upset that I was not with him, but at the same time I know that he wouldn't have wanted my last memory of him to be of him keeling over and dying (not that he had any control of it, though perhaps in some mystical sense he did), and I know that image would be imprinted on my brain and in my soul forever, so on the other hand in a way it's better that I wasn't there.  Perhaps your friend viewed it like that as well.

Otherwise it seems that your situation and mine are quite different, but to some degree I -- and most others here -- know somewhat how you feel. Even similar situations can never be identical, because different people are involved, but I certainly understand the overwhelming anger & grief, and the feeling of drowning, and the absence of relief. I'm sure many others here do, too.  You are not alone. {{hugs}}

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if anyone was going to join the discussion. Yes, there is that possibility, but I really don't know what was going through his head about the decision. That's what bothers me. I get what you're saying and by not being with your husband, that was do doubt better for you that you don't have to carry that with you. 

Appreciate the hugs and words. 

I lost my mom a few years ago and my brother just passed away I would like to talk to someone. Jaynelr2002@yahoo.com
Jayne, I'm sorry for your loss.... It's not easy that's for sure... some of us seem to not be able to deal with things so well... you are not alone...
I lost my husband and best friend from a short illness this past April... we were together for 20 years... Not a day goes by that I don't think of him... I am trying to take care of every day life as best as I can.. I guess our loved ones would want us to move forward... it's all we really can do... I know that they would not want us to get stuck in a black dark place... We must live on for them... at least that's what I focus on and try to do... I am forever changed by his passing, as I am sure you are also... But what can we really do? Sit on the couch crying for days and days? Not good for us to lose what is left of the memories this way is it? Believe me I have my blue days.... But I know one day I will see him... And you will see your mom and brother too!!!

Email if you want....
Robin

myphotos1962@gmail.com

RSS

Latest Activity

Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Assumptions

An assumption is an unexamined belief: what is thought to be true without ever really realizing that we think in that way. For better or worse, understanding starts with entertaining the idea that something is true.  Truly profound thoughts generally come to light from the relaxation of these (flawed) assumptions.  This is where I find myself today...Perhaps, one of the more significant drivers to pushing down the loss and grief at the time of the accident, ignoring it and mindlessly walking…See More
Mar 13
Profile IconCari Jo Converse, Jennifer and James D. Thornsberry joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 13
Profile IconMarina Dsouza, Leah, Sandra M Aaron and 5 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Mar 5
esther joined HollowHeart's group
Thumbnail

Sibling Loss

This group is for anyone that has lost a brother or sister. Sibling loss is often minimized and people don't realize how devastating losing a sibling can be. I lost my older sister and my life will never be the same. She was my only sibling, I looked up to her, I went to her for everything. I lost my past, present and future. It is traumatic.See More
Mar 4
Speed Weasel posted a video

Sun Keeps Risin'

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesSun Keeps Risin' · Lissie · Elisabeth Corrin Maurus · Martin CraftMy Wild West℗ 2015 Lionboy RecordsReleased on...
Feb 26
Speed Weasel posted a blog post

Triggers Continue to Surface

Late February is a challenging time of year for me.  Jen’s birthday is the 23rd and serves as an annual reminder of all of the potential that was lost…Her’s (mainly), mine, the world’s honestly.  This year she would be 52…It is increasingly hard to imagine, through all of the iterations possible, what she could have become, what was to be her (significant) impact on the world.That being said, things, emotions, have largely settled down since I committed a potential version of what could have…See More
Feb 15
Michelle joined Gyla Lynn Darden's group
Thumbnail

Loss of a child In memory of my son or daughter

This group focuses on healing ourselves and each other over the death of a child and welcomes a Christian atmosphere to help with the healing process. I welcome all of those grieving.See More
Feb 8
Tammy McLaughlin and Rosie are now friends
Jan 30

© 2024   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service