When you are grieving it’s important that you take care of yourself through difficult times. We’ve all been knocked off center and find it hard to take care of our own health needs.

How do we get through these difficult times and eat right to sustain our bodies? Here's a method to use at meal times:

Using your dinner plate, put a line down the middle of the plate.

1. On one side, cut it again so you will have 3 sections on your plate.
  2. Fill the largest section with non starchy vegetables such as:
    1. spinach, carrots, lettuce, greens, cabbage, bok choy
    2. green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes,
    3. vegetable juice, salsa, onion, cucumber, beets, okra,
    4. mushrooms, peppers, turnip
  3. Now in one of the small sections, put starchy foods:
    1. whole grain breads, whole wheat or rye
    2. whole grain, high-fiber cereal
    3. cooked cereal such as oatmeal, grits, hominy, or cream of wheat
    4. rice, pasta, tortillas
    5. cooked beans and peas, such as pinto beans or black-eyed peas
    6. potatoes, green peas, corn, lima beans, sweet potatoes, winter squash
    7. low-fat crackers and snack chips, pretzels, and fat-free popcorn
  4. And then on the other small section, put your protein or plant based protein food items such as:
    1. chicken or turkey without the skin
    2. fish such as tuna, salmon, cod, or catfish
    3. other seafood such as shrimp, clams, oysters, crab, or mussels
    4. lean cuts of beef and pork such as sirloin or pork loin
    5. tofu, eggs, low-fat cheese
    6. beans
  5. Add an 8 oz glass of nonfat or low fat milk. If you don’t drink milk, choose yogurt or a calcium fortified beverage.  
  6. Add a piece of fruit or a 1/2 cup fruit salad.   Fresh, frozen, or canned in its own juice.
  7. Also take a daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplement.  (I consider this part of your health insurance policy)

That completes your well-balanced meal.  If you just can't eat at all, you could drink a meal replacement like boost, ensure, shakeology, etc.  

Questions are welcome.  

Tags: eat, health, right

Views: 1574

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bluebird, I lost about 20 pounds when my sister passed. I think the first two or three days I literally ate bites of food and nothing else. I mainly have no joy in cooking anymore so I ate if my Ma cooked, otherwise we ate out. I had no desire to grocery shop, I had no motivation to do anything so eating was just like 'whatever' and I bought out a lot which was unhealthy and expensive.  I'm still not eating right as I was using a health tracking app and really shopping for the right foods and such, watching my sodium and calories, but me and my sis would go shopping together and I had no heavy permanent burdens on my soul weighing me down and making me not care about life getting in the way of the shopping. 

You lose someone important and you very quickly go into 'I don't give a shit' mode real quick.

Exactly, HollowHeart. Even more than that -- i hope my poor eating and health habits kill me, quickly.

im on junk

dnt giv dam damg it doze 

smokin dnt giv a dam i dnt

dronk dnt giv a dam damg it doz 

loset so mush sinse 2012

grt thng bt mre salt on food is grt  for me it is luv it i do 

I have an 88 year old auntie who lost an husband when she was 40 remarried and he passed away when she was 63 the one thing she keeps drilling into me is to make sure I eat. She started with ready meals but as she told me it uses up the time to prepare a meal even if you don't eat it all.

when I'm depressed I barley eat , my bad thing is eating junk when I'm upset or feeling down

Thanks for the wonderful advice.

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Profile IconMiriam Holmes and Greg Darby joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
6 hours ago
Shirelle posted a status
"My son died November 25 at 936 am and I have. Cried everyday I honestly don't know what to do I can't function at all what do I do?"
yesterday
Profile IconKatherine A Pericas Geersten, nikita and Katrina joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Thursday
Sue M commented on Kar's group Missing my Son or Daughter
"Hello to all of you who are here for the same unimaginable reason as I am. I found this website last night after another night of going to bed where instead of sleep, pain sets in that I was able to escape from all day by being busy. Jess's…"
Tuesday
Sue M joined Kar's group
Thumbnail

Missing my Son or Daughter

For all of us that are suffering the loss a son or daughter.See More
Tuesday
Sue M updated their profile
Tuesday
Profile IconSue M and Christine joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Tuesday
Linda Engberg commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Joe, I have seven tattoos one for each year Julian has been gone. It is my way of honoring him  People make fun of me saying I am too old (71) to have them. Glad to hear I am not the only one still honoring their spouse after death."
Jan 13
Serenity replied to Linda Engberg's discussion Ending my Life
"Wow..you suicide yourself there us no place for you in heaven. You will find yourself again and life will go on without your dearly departed. Learn to love yourself find what you like to do there has to something. Think of it like this he…"
Jan 12
Serenity replied to Elynn m's discussion Lonely again
"It is a tradgedy to lose a loved one. But it does get better. Not everyday will be the same some days burn to the core more than others. Find a hobby or volunteer or help someone basically find something to do to ease the monotony of the day. In…"
Jan 12
Joe Kelly commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Thank you Linda.  It's beautiful for you to had done that.  I have tattoo of our names in a heart.  I wear two sets of our wedding bands on both pinkys and ring fingers.  We're still married and always will be forever.…"
Jan 12
"Joe, What a beautiful post. I have a tattoo on my shoulder of both our hands on our wedding day. I added my own words. God be with you."
Jan 12
Serenity is now a member of Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Jan 12
Rick Rilloraza left a comment for morgan
"Yes I still miss her terribly.  I am still sad and angry.  I was left with two boys ages 12 and 8 at that time.  What kept me going was making sure they were provided for and raised well.  I still have full on bawls when the…"
Jan 11
Joe Kelly commented on Jon-Paul Ackerman's group Lost My Spouse...
"Reliving two years ago.  Ten days till She took Her last exhaling breath in my arms.  She went knowing that we will be together forever and it can't come soon enough for me. Till then:"
Jan 11
morgan left a comment for Rick Rilloraza
"Rick, I am curious because I am within a week of being a widow of seven years how you are doing it allotter eight years?  Today, and more often lately (lets say for about the past six months) I have become more angry and more hateful of having…"
Jan 9
Profile IconShirelle, Rick Rilloraza, David Williams and 1 more joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Jan 9
Profile IconMichele Anderson and Phillip smith joined Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Jan 6
"Just another year closer to death I pray."
Jan 6
Carlos Hunt is now a member of Online Grief Support - A Social Community
Dec 31, 2019

© 2020   Created by Ninja.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service